What is a Hair Mineral Analysis
Hair, like all other body tissues, contains minerals that are deposited as the hair grows. Although the hair is dead, the minerals remain as the hair continues to grow out. A sample of hair cut close to the scalp provides information about the mineral activity in the hair that took place over the past three to four months, depending on the rate of hair growth. A hair tissue mineral analysis is a screening test for the level of 20 physiological relevant minerals and toxic metals. It is a tissue mineral biopsy that is non-invasive, relatively inexpensive and extremely accurate. A sample of hair cut close to the scalp provides information about the mineral activity in the hair that took place over the past three to four months. A hair tissue mineral analysis nowadays is considered a standard test used around the world for the biological monitoring of trace elements and toxic metals in humans and animals species.
Why a Hair Tissue Mineral Analyse
- Research shows that trace minerals and metals are accumulated at concentrations that are 10-50 % higher in hair.
- Blood and urine tests give an instantaneous reading that may be affected by many factors. Urine screening is a most effective tool in measuring the progress of detoxification/chelation treatments.
- Hair analysis gives a long term reading that is unaffected by recent meals, activities such as exercise, or emotional states.
- Toxic metals rarely remain in the blood or urine for long, but often deposit in the hair where they can be measured over a three-month period.
Which minerals and metals do we measure?
- Nutrient mineral/electrolyte levels in the body’s tissues, including Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Iron, Copper, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Nickel, Chromium, Cobalt, Molybdenum, Lithium.
- Toxic metal levels in the body’s tissues, including Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic, and Aluminum.
What can we see from the test?
The results are presented and interpreted as significant mineral ratio’s. The ratio’s, including some specific single mineral values are used to determine the following:
Balancing your body chemistry
The personalized report also includes advice for Nutritional balancing
- General dietary principles based on your metabolic type
- Specific supplements to rebalance the minerals in your physiology and to help reduce the elimination of toxic metals from the body.